Philip J. Fulton Law Office
Call For Your Free Consultation Today
Columbus, OH Office 614-929-3126

What if an ALJ has treated one unfairly at an SSDI hearing?

We have previously touched on the process of reconsideration and appeal that an applicant for Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income benefits can go through if the Social Security Administration denies his or her application. We have also mentioned the fact that those who hear such appeals, Administrative Law Judges, are human beings. As such, they are susceptible to all the shortcomings of humanity, such as bias, fear and just plain poor judgement.

While most ALJs will do everything possible to hear cases and make decisions in as unbiased a manner as possible, every once in a while, applicants may run across one who appears to be acting in a way that makes the applicant think that his or her case may not have received a fair hearing. Whether it is something the ALJ says, or the way in which he or she accepts or rejects certain evidence about a medical condition or inability to work, there are instances in which the neutrality of the decision maker in a case can come into question. So, what can an applicant do in such a situation?

According to a publication by the SSA, there is a procedure for filing a complaint about an unfair SSDI hearing. Such a compliant must be filed within 180 days of the point at which the alleged unfair activity is realized by the complainant, and it will have to be in writing, though the complainant may explain the complaint to an SSA worker and have him or her write it down. The complainant needs to include basic information, such as the complainant's name, address, telephone and social security numbers, the individual who perpetrated the unfair treatment and time that it took place, the words or actions that indicated the unfair treatment and the identities of any witnesses to the unfairness. The complaint can be made by either the applicant or the applicant's representative.

It is important to understand that making this kind of complaint is not the same as appealing the ALJ's decision to a higher authority. The timing and factual requirements for an appeal are different. Anyone with questions about appealing an ALJ's decision he or she feels was incorrect may want to consider contacting an experienced Ohio disability attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Take The First Step And Contact Us Today

Free Consultations

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Write Us A Review

At Philip J. Fulton Law Office, we love feedback from our clients. Please take a moment, and tell us how we’re doing!

Philip J. Fulton Law OfficeRepresenting Victims Of Workplace Injuries And Disability

89 East Nationwide Boulevard
Suite 300
Columbus, OH 43215

Toll Free: 866-552-6353
Phone: 614-929-3126
Phone: 614-224-3838
Fax: 614-224-3933
Columbus Personal Injury Office Map

Free Consultations:
Back To Top