We Literally Wrote The Book On
Ohio Workers’ Compensation
Whether you are the victim of a workplace injury or disabilities, we can
help you get the benefits you deserve.
David Barnhart’s respect for his clients, knowledge of workers’ compensation law and vigorous advocacy has led him to be selected twice by "Best Lawyers in America" as Lawyer of the Year for Workers' Compensation (2010 and 2013).
Certified as a specialist in workers' compensation by the Ohio State Bar Association, Mr. Barnhart has also been Elected to the "Best Lawyers in America" and the Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers Workers' Compensation Hall of Fame in 2002. For the last six years he has been responsible for the Certification Examination for all lawyers seeking to be become certified as Specialists by the OSBA.
Mr. Barnhart’s service to the Columbus Bar Association, where he was presented the Community Service Award in 2001, includes chair of the Workers' Compensation Committee. He was also chair of the Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers Workers' Compensation Section and a member of the board of trustees of the Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers.
He has lectured before various bar associations and commercial seminars on workers' comp throughout the state. He served on the board of trustees of the Worthington Public Library from 1995 until 2002.
Mr. Barnhart is a graduate of Westminster College (B.A., cum laude) and Capital University (J.D.). He is presently a member of the Columbus and Ohio State bar associations and the Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers.
Mr. Barnhart is a founding member of Kids’ Chance of Ohio, a non-profit organization which provides scholarships to children whose parent has been killed on the job or has been declared permanently and totally disabled. Kids’ Chance is part of a national organization. He is also a founder and chair for Spring Fling Golf Thing, Inc., a 501(c)(3) organization which assists those in the worker’s compensation community who are struggling with injury or illness. This organization has raised over $125,000 in the past 12 years and has provided college funds, medical and rehabilitation expenses. It also supports Kids’ Chance.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Workers' Compensation, Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio, 1981
- Capital University Law School, Columbus, Ohio
- J.D. - 1981
- Westminster College
- B.A. - 1978
- Honors: cum laude
- Lecturer, Workers' Compensation, Various Bar Associations and Commercial Seminars
Honors and Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyer - 2004-2019
- Super Lawyers, Top 100 in Ohio - 2005, 2006 and 2013
- Super Lawyers, Top 50 in Columbus - 2006, 2011-2014
- Lawyer of the Year 2011 and 2013, Best Lawyers in America, Workers' Compensation Law-Claimants
- Best Lawyers in America, 1995 - Present
- Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers Workers' Compensation Hall of Fame, 2002
- Community Service Award, Columbus Bar Association, 2001
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Ohio Academy of Justice
- Columbus Bar Association, Chair, Workers' Compensation Committee
- Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers, Workers' Compensation Section, Chair, 1996 to 1996