Philip J. Fulton Law Office
Call For Your Free Consultation Today
Columbus, OH Office 614-929-3126

Social Security disability benefits and tax returns

It's almost the end of February, and many residents of Ohio may be beginning to think about filing their tax returns. For most people, this means gathering one's W-2, and deciding whether to take the standard deduction or itemize deductions. But, what about people who receive Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) benefits? Do they need to worry about paying tax?

Actually, about one-third of people who receive Social Security benefits (of various kinds) pay taxes on some of those benefits. This usually happens to individuals who have income other than that they receive from the Social Security Administration (SSA). If you receive interest or investment income that must be reported on your tax return, or if you have wages or some form of self-employment income, you may owe taxes on some of your Social Security benefits if your total household income is high enough. According to Internal Revenue Service rules, one should never have to pay tax on more than 85 percent of one's benefits.

Ohio residents who receive SSDI benefits will get a form from the government in the mail in January or February. This form is called an SSA-1099, and it should detail all the benefits you received from Social Security over the past tax year. This information will be used to report that income on the individual's tax return. If a person does not receive or has lost his or her 1099, he or she can request a replacement on-line or by calling the SSA's toll free number. It is important to note that individuals who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) will not get a 1099, as SSI income is not taxable.

Having a disability that prevents one from working can complicate one's life in many ways. Luckily, unless a person is receiving income from other sources, paying federal income tax shouldn't be one of them. People with questions about receiving Social Security disability benefits, or the consequences thereof, may wish to consider contacting an Ohio disability attorney.

Source:, "Social Security benefits may be taxable," Maria Diaz, Feb. 18, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Take The First Step And Contact Us Today

Free Consultations

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Write Us A Review

At Philip J. Fulton Law Office, we love feedback from our clients. Please take a moment, and tell us how we’re doing!

Philip J. Fulton Law OfficeRepresenting Victims Of Workplace Injuries And Disability

89 East Nationwide Boulevard
Suite 300
Columbus, OH 43215

Toll Free: 866-552-6353
Phone: 614-929-3126
Phone: 614-224-3838
Fax: 614-224-3933
Columbus Personal Injury Office Map

Free Consultations:
Back To Top