We Literally Wrote The Book On
Ohio Workers’ Compensation

Whether you are the victim of a workplace injury or disabilities, we can help you get the benefits you deserve.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Social Security Disability
  4.  » Does everyone who applies for SSDI face an uphill battle?

Does everyone who applies for SSDI face an uphill battle?

On Behalf of | May 11, 2023 | Social Security Disability

Some people have private disability insurance coverage provided by an employer, but not every job offers such coverage. Many working adults do not purchase long-term or short-term disability coverage for themselves if it is not available for free or at a reduced cost through their employment. If they end up injured or sickened and unable to work for an extended length of time, workers may have only Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits to rely on to cover their cost-of-living expenses.

Many people have heard that no one gets approved for SSDI benefits and that everyone has to appeal before getting approved. As a result, they may wonder whether it is worthwhile to apply for SSDI after a diagnosis of a disabling medical condition.

One in five applicants gets benefits shortly after applying

The Social Security Administration (SSA) analyzes the outcome of benefits claims and publishes that information for the public. Between 2010 and 2019, an average of 21% of applicants each year received benefits when they first supplied. The remaining 79% received rejection notices, and many of those applicants chose to appeal the unfavorable initial decision. Appealing is often a smart move for unsuccessful applicants, as another 10% of individuals get benefits during the appeals process.

Overall, just under one in three applicants will eventually connect with benefits, although the majority of people who seek SSDI will not be successful. Especially for those who have no other insurance coverage available, pursuing a claim and also an appeal if the initial claim is unsuccessful can be a very smart decision.

The application process can be a challenge

Many people already coping with a disabling medical condition may find the stress of applying for SSDI benefits to be too much. They could make mistakes during the application process that keep them from getting the coverage they need, which is one reason why many people bring in professional help during an SSDI application.

Lawyers who help with disability claims know how to properly fill out the paperwork required by the SSA and also understand the documentation necessary to affirm the extent of someone’s disability and validate that they qualify. Those who have support during the application process won’t have to stress themselves about paperwork and appeals technicalities while also trying to adjust to their medical conditions or treatments. In these and other ways, seeking legal guidance to learn more about SSDI myths can help those who may qualify for SSDI benefits.