We Literally Wrote The Book On
Ohio Workers’ Compensation

Whether you are the victim of a workplace injury or disabilities, we can help you get the benefits you deserve.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers' Compensation
  4.  » What workers face the highest risk of violence?

What workers face the highest risk of violence?

On Behalf of | May 13, 2021 | Workers' Compensation

Plenty of jobs seem like they would involve violence. Police officers and those who repossess vehicles for banks are in professions where violence seems like a real risk for injury on the job.

Violence can occur in just about any industry, but statistics gathered by the federal government make it clear that one kind of profession has far more risk for worker injury due to violence than any other. Those who work in health care setting, including hospitals, nursing homes and rehabilitation facilities, face the most serious risk of violence-related injury on the job.

Workplace violence often happens in medical settings

According to data provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, those who work in the health care industry face significantly more risk from interpersonal violence than those in other professions. In fact, 73% of all nonfatal workplace violence in 2018 involved those in the medical profession. For every 100,000 workers, there are 10.4 who experience violence in any given year, up from 6.4 per 100,000 in 2011.

There are many reasons why medical workers may face violence on the job. They encounter individuals under the influence of intoxicating substances like alcohol and drugs and those who have severe mental health issues or age-related dementia. Hospital workers can even get hurt when police officers or prison guards transport someone under arrest or in custody for medical care.

Medical workers who suffer violence-related injuries on the job can typically seek workers’ compensation benefits for physical health care, psychological care and lost wages. If you or a loved one is having difficulty getting the necessary workers’ comp, an experienced attorney can help.