We Literally Wrote The Book On
Ohio Workers’ Compensation

Whether you are the victim of a workplace injury or disabilities, we can help you get the benefits you deserve.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers' Compensation
  4.  » Workers’ compensation denied? You can appeal that decision

Workers’ compensation denied? You can appeal that decision

On Behalf of | Dec 11, 2020 | Workers' Compensation

Imagine getting hurt on the job. You go to the hospital to receive treatment, and you let the doctor know how the injuries occurred. As an injured worker, you expected your claim to go through quickly and to start getting the benefits that you needed right away.

That’s why it was a shock when you had a denial letter come to you. The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation sends written documentation to let you know if you have been approved or not, so that you can also have information on how to appeal that decision.

How do you appeal a denied workers’ compensation claim?

If you want to appeal a denied workers’ compensation claim, your attorney, employer or one of several other parties can file an appeal with the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. The appeal has to be delivered in writing and needs to include some basic information including:

  • The claim number
  • The injured workers’ employer’s name and their name
  • The date of the order that is being appealed
  • The reason that the appeal is being filed

You should sign that document and then return it to the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation in person, by fax or by mail.

What should you do upon receiving a denial letter?

If you receive a letter denying your workers’ compensation, take a look at the reason. Perhaps there wasn’t enough information included, or the date of the injury was marked incorrectly. Correct any mistakes and include more information if it’s needed. Your attorney will review this with you to make sure you know exactly what to include in your appeal for the best chance of the appeal getting you the benefits you need.

Where will the appeal be heard?

The Industrial Commission of Ohio hears all appeals and claim disputes. This is an agency that is separate from the BWC. The hearing will likely be held at the nearest IC office to your home address. Once the hearing is scheduled, you’ll get a written notice with the date, time and location of the hearing. After that, a decision will be made, and you’ll receive a written document including that decision.