We Literally Wrote The Book On
Ohio Workers’ Compensation

Whether you are the victim of a workplace injury or disabilities, we can help you get the benefits you deserve.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers' Compensation
  4.  » You can appeal a denied workers’ compensation claim

You can appeal a denied workers’ compensation claim

On Behalf of | Jan 11, 2016 | Workers' Compensation

If you have a workers’ compensation claim denied, it’s important that you speak with your attorney about the next steps to take to make sure you get the compensation you deserve. It’s possible to have a denial reversed, and if you’ve suffered an injury that makes it impossible to work, it’s vital that you receive the compensation to which you’re entitled. Not all denials are due to thinking you don’t have an injury; some may be for technical errors on paperwork or could be office errors by the disability service team itself.

If you want to appeal a denial, you may need to do so through the board of workers’ compensation. Why was your claim denied, though? This is information you need to know, so you don’t make the same mistakes on your application again.

The first reason you may have a claim denied is if you wait too long to make a report of your injury. Usually this needs to happen as soon as possible and within a few days of the injury. If your claim is not filed within 30 to 90 days, in most cases, then it will be denied as well.

If your employer disputes your claim or states that your injury isn’t compensable, then you may not be able to obtain the compensation you want right away. You may have to show why your employer needs to be held accountable for your injuries.

To appeal, you will need to appeal quickly and determine the cause for the denial. Sometimes, it’s a simple mistake that your employer can clear up. Other times, you’ll need to make your case, including submitting medical documents, to the workers’ compensation department in your state.

Source: FindLaw, “Workers’ Comp Denied? Here Are Your Next Steps,” accessed Jan. 11, 2016